Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The future of technology.

I foresee technology becoming an integral and essential component of education in the future. I reflect over the last 10 years and consider just how much technology has changed my life. I seldom leave the house without my mobile phone and ipod. Technology for me has made living on the other side of the world a much easier experience. I can video call my family which allows for a much more personal interaction than using the traditional telephone. I can't imagine the first settlers to Australia having to write home to their family in the UK. The development of technology has made the world a much more accessible place. Perhaps in the future, schools will have live video interactions with students from countries around the globe. This would be an excellent tool for language teachers for example but other subjects could benefit from this interaction also. Every year there are new products that make our lives simpler, enriching and that provide opportunities to increase communication and knowledge. Most of the new products I didn't even know how much I needed them until I got them. To go to the gym without my ipod would be a dark day and I hope it never happens. I am sure there will be new technologies that will be developed for use in education that will become as common in the classroom as the white board. We saw in class the future of iphones and the potential uses that these could have in school. If students have access to these products which have multiple purposes, educators should utilise these tools. Like it or not technology is here to stay!

Personally, I would love an iphone but my wallet does not have the funds to allow me this luxury/necessity? Perhaps this may become the biggest problem of integrating technology in the classroom. Every child may not have the technology to participate in class activities. When I am out at lunch with friends I feel I am being left behind in the world of communication as I can't update my facebook profile or check my e-mail as my phone does not have access to the internet. In the future it maybe the norm for students to access information on iphones(or equivalent) in schools and the child without the equipment maybe disadvantaged.

LeBlanc(2008)in his blog 'The future of technology and education' provides an interesting view on how technology will influence a college student in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Though isn't that the thing to a certain extent, that we don't even know how much we need items and technology until we have acquired them? So how much of this is advertising? or just because everyone else has it..? Does it really enhance our lives? there is an argument for maintaining the simpler things in life - my i-pod died a crashing death the other week and my options of my daily run became limited to no music at all. Three weeks later, I can see the beauty without constant upbeat music. Suddenly I am free of a perceived constraint I must have given myself, once the i-pod entered my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could argue this for any situation. Holidays for example, there is no actual need for them but I would not like to give them up.
    Technology has enriched my life, it may not be essential but it is definitely a plus. Hopefully it will enrich my students learning, technology is not essential for learning but could make it more engaging and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I embrace technology too. and i can absolutely relate to the ease of keeping in touch with family back home. i missed out on my sister's highschool graduation over the weekend- but how nice that my parents could take pictures and upload them instantly on picasa, which i could then view on my phone.

    So in a similar vain, technology can bring students who reign from different locations/continents together, e.g. in using secondlife and virtual worlds.

    ReplyDelete