Monday, May 3, 2010
Searching!
When I need to find something on the internet, Google is my first port of call. I can't see this changing anytime soon, it is convenient, free and usually satisfies my needs. I even used Google to search for other search engines, I use it every time I go on the net. However for educational purposes I think I will steer my children away from this site. I am Captain Safety so will not allow my students to have free reign searching for this, that and everything. I have found some interesting stuff through Google that has shocked my inner soul, I must try to protect the young and innocent from the big bad world. Luckily there are lots of family friendly search engines teachers can allow their students to use. Using search engines in the classroom have obvious benefits, the children can find information, pictures and videos at a click of a button. Some engines are specific to certain media, such as Flickr, reducing the chances of irrelevant search results. Students can use search engines for lots of tasks and results can help enrich their work. As computers usage increase in schools, I think search engines will become a daily tool in the classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, it's good to have a selection of different search engines in your 'repertoire'. They all serve different purposes and, as you say, can help reduce the chance of students stumbling across inappropriate or irrelevant results.
ReplyDeleteI think I rely on Google too much - I used it to find my own blog today.
ReplyDelete